Thursday, February 23, 2012

Blue Sky

It's amazing how dependent we can become on eletronics. I had trouble with my computer about a week ago and eventually had to have a new system installed. That meant all my past writings and even my word processor were gone. The tech said he had saved all my stuff but he overestimated my ability to now find them now.

I went to a garden lecture this morning. All the talk about “wall of waters” and plant starts made me so anxious for spring that I want to get started with the planting. Of course, this yearning will wane about July when the weeding and tending get to be a chore. Still, I would much rather work on the yard than to be cooped up in the house.

Looking out the window as I write, I see the new snow on the mountains sparkling in the sun. White cumulus clouds add to the perfect picture. I love these mountains. Whenever I am away from Utah I know I am home when the Wasatch Mountains loom into view. The only place comparable was Switzerland. They are like the arms of Mother Nature protecting me from the harm of the world. Granite hills are great a defence against fear.

I'm back to singing, in fact, there is a concert Saturday night at Libby Gardner Hall at the U of U. It starts at 7:00 and includes wonderful music. It amazes me that I can't live without singing. I must have been born singing because I can't remember being without it. My mother sang as she did housework and I know all the old songs because of that. I have so much fun anytime I sing but especially on stage. I've been in many musicals and even a few operas and I never tire of it. The thing I absolutely detest is auditioning. I turn into a blithering idiot when I have to audition. Luckily I've learned several ways to avoid that process. I'm not telling my secrets in that regard.

Time to quit and fix dinner. I made a huge pot of gumbo in honor of Mardi Gras. Since there are only three of us in the house, it will last quite a few days. I think I'll add some sweet potatoes to it today.

No comments: